Bonjour it's Jinah!

Sunday, February 27

On a Sunday Crafternoon: Deep Space

Inspired by Tanie (of cupcake wishes and unicorn dreams) and Sarah (of silence sweetheart)'s DIY efforts, I decided to fulfill my own space prom wardrobe fantasies and gathered the girls for an official crafternoon/science experiment.


DSC_0002 


First we gathered all the necessary supplies: bleach, gloves, blue RIT dye, glow in the dark and matte fabric paints, old paintbrushes, and a bunch of old clothes. Don't forget the Cadbury eggs for important chocolate snacking moments. Pretty essential for me and my girls.

DSC_0003 

We all really wanted to make dresses, but you would be surprised how hard pressed you can be to find a perfect black Betsey-esque jersey dress with a kicky little peplum skirt. Okay, maybe that makes sense. We all ended up using either thrifted items or items that had been previously shoved into the back of our closets.


DSC_0009

Mary made some extra adjustments to hers and added a rubber band, tie dye style.

DSC_0012 

And then we added the bleach. Everyone used their own made-up technique. Some of us brushed, some of us drizzled, and some of us used a spray bottle, all of them resulting in different looks. It wasn't long before we all started screaming, "It's changing! It's changing colors!!!"

The science experiment part of this endeavor? We kind of wanted to know what color things would turn if you spilled bleach on them--the results were mostly in shades of orange. After the bleach treatment we ran all of the garments through the washer.


DSC_0021
 
Mine were pretty 80's looking.

DSC_0025


Lana's turned out like a sci-fi superheroine sunrise.


DSC_0022


Mary's turned out like REAL SPACELIKE.


And since I believed that more is more, I thought it would be fun to add more bleach. Which  (after a rinse and dry) resulted in a totally different set of colors:


DSC_0026


The level of fading after two bleach + wash cycles was sufficient so we busted out the dye. We used a royal blue dye, diluted according to the directions on the bottle, and mixed partially with some red wine to achieve a range of shades from smokey blue, deep eggplant, to blood red. (The wine was an especially fun tip from Tanie.)


DSC_0032


The house smelled like winos and bleach after all was said and done.


We were impatient so we skipped waiting through yet another wash/dry cycle and went straight to painting on the stars. I thought it would be fun to have the stars glow in the dark, so I got both glowy and non glowy fabric paints. I also figured the glow would be brighter if the (translucent) glow in the dark paint was painted over the matte white paint.


If you look carefully you can see the classy scraps of cardboard we used as disposable paint palettes.


The stars were painted on randomly and everyone had their own technique.


DSC_0035


DSC_0034


I love the twinkling stars on Mary's! She had the brill idea of using the back end of the paintbrush to get more evenly rounded stars. I freehanded mine and took twice as long as everyone else.

And the final result, after washing out the toxic mix of bleach and wine smells was this:


Photo 57


I felt super duper 90's in it. I suppose that's fitting since we watched all of season one of Clarissa Explains it All while completing this project.
Up next? Finding the perfect dress to ruin with the same process...

18 comments:

  1. Yay Ginah! Super cute, ur such a talent....=D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG LOVE these! I want one and now you've inspired me to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanie's post got me so excited to do this too! It is awnnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay--just took pictures of me wearing mine! post time :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha I used WINE RED dye, not red wine! They look great though :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanie--LOL no wonder all of it washed out! Ha. Well, if nothing else, cracking that bottle provided refreshments for the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AMAZING. I can't wait to try this on a little black dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! You all did such an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun!! I love the twinkling stars the most. I may have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A. Love the acid wash looking sunspot look you have made very cute
    B. I LOVE me some cadbury mini eggs!! fav. easter candy, maybe even candy period!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A. Love the acid wash looking sunspot look you have made very cute
    B. I LOVE me some cadbury mini eggs!! fav. easter candy, maybe even candy period!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! You all did such an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is AMAZING. I can't wait to try this on a little black dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tanie--LOL no wonder all of it washed out! Ha. Well, if nothing else, cracking that bottle provided refreshments for the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay--just took pictures of me wearing mine! post time :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG LOVE these! I want one and now you've inspired me to make my own.

    ReplyDelete

Bonjour y'all! Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Add This

Bookmark and Share